Thursday, February 21, 2013

DIY Lace Crystal Wedding Garter

{We've moved! Visit us at our new and improved blog at: Texas Craft House}

Hi!!

Today I wanted to share the garter that I made for my wedding! Cassie made her garter, which is posted earlier on our blog and we got the idea for what we wanted our garters to look like from the same website! We just didn't want to spend $190 on a garter we would wear just one day. I found elastic lace from a local fabric shop in downtown Dallas and found the perfect crystal applique online at Glorys House to attach. Total I spent under $15, can you believe that!?!

Supplies Needed:
-White thread
-Needle
-Sewing machine
-Elastic Lace
-Crystal Applique
I took the elastic waste and measured it around my leg. Knowing that I wanted it to be tight enough so that I wouldn't have to worry about it falling on the day of my wedding I tried different sizes before pinning and sewing. I made sure before I began to sew that I put the right sides together and just cut leaving a 1/4" seam allowance and then sewed right along where I pinned.
The toughest part was stitching the applique onto the lace. I wanted to make sure it was centered and straight when I applied it. I tried ironing and it just did not work with the lace so I began stitching like you would begin a cross stitch project. I went all the way around the entire applique making sure to go around the center of the applique as well in order to account for the weight it could put on the lace. 
Here it is on my leg! You can tell that it's tight enough because of the indent on the side of my leg, but not only did it not fall down it didn't even leave a mark.
 I think it looks just like the original, but it's definitely more meaningful to me!
Have fun with your wedding and save money where you can!

Happy Crafting!
<3 Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment